You are not logged in.

Sunday, October 7th 2012, 5:20am

L85 AWS Is it to powerfull for Dayz?

Would just like to see what people think of the idea to remove L85 from the loot table on one or more of the servers.
I personaly think that the thermal spotting is abit to powerfull and it makes Ghilie/Camo suits and general sneaking around obsolete when you are fighting vs a person or squad with a thermal scope. At nighttime if you dont have this gun you are at a major disadvantage, no matter how much you crawl and sneak around all it takes is a sweep with the scope to spot you. I know the gun itself is not the best for long range but in this game knowing where other people are located i one of the biggest advantages.
I find that PvP without it is alot more intense and demands a higher skill level to spot and kill the other players, Particulaly the nighttime PvP.

Would like to hear what people think of this? If people are open to trying this out?

Now i do not know the process of removing this gun from the loot table(admin side). If it has to be done for all servers or just one. Does any of the Admins know?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Methota" (Oct 7th 2012, 5:44am)

Sunday, October 7th 2012, 5:27am

Hey Methota! I think your're right with your arguments. If someone find this weapon with thermal, he is really too powerful. In this game camouflage is really, really important to protect you from other players..., so I would embrace to throw this weapon out from the community-hive.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm drunken as hell. :3

Get PRO! MYDAYZ#11 Chernarus EXPERT / CH: OFF / TP: OFF 85.114.136.140:2302

nista

VIP Ehrengast

Activity points: 20489

Sunday, October 7th 2012, 1:46pm

Hello Methota, we are running a poll on our german board scince some days about removing l85/as50/m107. Discussion is closed but you all are still able to vote.

We have not invented this for any server yet, cuz with every hive or arma2 update we would have to change it manually. This would take a lot of time, so we are thinking about a automatic way. Anyways no decision was made from us yet.

ehemals:myDayZ.de | Community Management, Content & Administration | like myDayZ on facebook & follow us on twitter

Monday, October 8th 2012, 4:31am

Ok thank you for the reply. Just a quick question though, is there any rules/restrictions against using the L85 on any of the servers?

Monday, October 8th 2012, 7:14am

is there any rules/restrictions against using the L85 on any of the servers?
Hey! Nope, there isn't. You can use this weapon without exception.
Get PRO! MYDAYZ#11 Chernarus EXPERT / CH: OFF / TP: OFF 85.114.136.140:2302

Straw

Marauder

Activity points: 2075

Monday, October 8th 2012, 9:15am

On the other hand you have to aks yourself, if the ghillie isnt too powerfull. I love to play with a bit smoother optics (graphic settings) which would put me in a huge disadvantage because spotting a ghillie just wont happen as long as he's hidden well. When you lie in grass you have to fear the l85. The Problem is L85 + Low settings where almost no foliage is rendered from a certain distance.
Therefor I have to change my settings every now and then. 1 Setting for just enjoying the appocalypse and 1 for PvP. I have friends who play on high settings and they are pretty much useless in PVP since all they see is nice grass & trees, no matter if they have a L85.
If you remove the L85 you have to remove ghillie aswell imo.

Monday, October 8th 2012, 10:41am

Hey,

at the time beeing I'm using an L85 AWS which I took from a dead Bandit. I'm not really fond of this weapon though. I mean the AWS is great but when it comes to shooting I don't feel comfortable with this waepon, at least not at longer ranges. So this Weapon has its drawbacks too which goes along with it rarity. I see no point in removing potentious weapons and deleting that little endgame contnent that is available in Dayz. There would be almost no point going all the way north if you could find the best waepons in the game at Balota air strip, right?
Someone could argue in the way you did about NV goggles or ghilli suits too, as mentioned before. Good gear gives you an advantage and this is the way it is supposed to be.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ReiRo" (Oct 8th 2012, 10:47am)

Mirie

Marauder

Activity points: 1893

Tuesday, October 9th 2012, 11:29am

My opinion on matter is that all mentioned weapons (l85/as50/m107) makes people dumbier ;) You don't require any skill to use it, you don't need to be patient and wait for clear shot, you don't need to think. Good hiding skill is most important part of survival, but thermals negates it completely. This is survival game, not just a shooter, right? That's why I never take any of this guns if I find them, this is my personal boycott.

Remove them and let players evolve and improve skill!

Wednesday, October 10th 2012, 6:25pm

Remove L85, FN Fal AN/PVS-4 and NV Goggles. Will be much more fun to play at night.

dgeesio

on the beach

Activity points: 10

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 11:51am

too be honest the best fun is with basic guns . to much emphasis is put on as50s and so on.

a lee enfield or a ak will still do anyone in and thats all i go for

my youtube gaming channel http://www.youtube.com/user/DGeeeeeee?feature=watch

Buttercup

Friend of fir

Activity points: 158

Friday, October 12th 2012, 3:26pm

The L85 doesn't seem that overpowered. Sure, it's a perfect counter to any pine-tree camping sniper at an arfield, but it also means you have to sacrifice one out of the two weapons you normally carry for a simple thermal scope. And, tbh, I find it unusable in close-quarters combat, the zoom is too strong, the dmg is on the lower-side (compared to an AKM for instance), and it's also fairly loud.

About removing AS50's/M107's, I agree with the general idea, however, until most servers have no way of countering Alt+F4 escapes, I like having a one-shot kill sniper rifle. Let's face it, pulling off headshots on moving targets 800m away is close to impossible. Even a chest-shot is hard (and I do have the Arma2 training of sniping). I got to a point where I knew the distance to every building in Cherno from my sniping spot, and hit 8/10 shots on most targets. However, if you are using a DMR or the like, a hit to the chest is NOT a kill, and some players instantly log off. Hence, .50 cal's are still needed imo.

But, like I said, if there's a perfect counter to the Alt+F4 tactic (which some servers are combating by a 30 second log-off delay), then by all means, remove them should you wish (although, the 8k dmg on normal snipers is usually enough to break your bones/knock you out, making the 2nd shot quite easy to land, I see no significant difference in snipers apart from the scope and zooming...not to mention the M107 is loud as hell, so using a DMR is a lot safer...AND, the DMR is the only sniper that works combined with NV goggles).

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 3:06am

The only thing i think needs removed is the AS50

Far too powerful, one shot kill from anywhere, perfect griefer weapon.

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 5:04am

The only thing i think needs removed is the AS50

Far too powerful, one shot kill from anywhere, perfect griefer weapon.

In that case what about the M107? It is just as powerful, even easier to find. Only difference is it can't use the NATO rounds that can kill a helicopter in 2 hits.

As far as the L85 goes, I do think it needs to be removed. As previously stated, it takes away all skill involved as far as concealing your position when someone can just quickly scan and spot you from 1 km away.

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 1:25pm

oh why people crying about as50,m107? I think sniper rifle should kill with one shot. Dont you think so? DMR isnt a sniper rifle if u need a 3 shots to kill.

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 1:38pm

I'm opinion the AS50 and m107 shouldn't be removed because they are a very good conter against this stupid ALT-F4 users.

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 4:38pm

While Ghillie suits are still in the game the L85 AWS should stay aswell, while ths gun does give you a massive advantage the gun itself isn't just laying around in every other pub. just like ghillie suits its hard to fight against but it just keeps everyone that little bit more on edge, even if your ghillie'd up at night

---------------------------------------------------------------
[i]
Anything north of Eleckro = Shoot on Sight!![/i]

.o/

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 5:35pm

In that case what about the M107? It is just as powerful, even easier to find. Only difference is it can't use the NATO rounds that can kill a helicopter in 2 hits.
As far as the L85 goes, I do think it needs to be removed. As previously stated, it takes away all skill involved as far as concealing your position when someone can just quickly scan and spot you from 1 km away.
I agree with you. I don't mind these big rifles in the game, but I think the L85 is something that doesn't really fit the bunch. M107 and AS50 are not weapons that make you a lot superior to others immediately. Surely you can one-shot folks from long distances with them, but it's not like the bullet will automaticly hit the target. You need a bit of skill to actually shoot someone (first of all, you don't kill anyone without knowing their range) and it's everyone's own fault if they leave themself exposed to snipers like sitting ducks. There was a good system on another private hive server, where AS50 was disabled so that helicopters and other vehicles aren't so easily destroyed. M107 was allowed, but if you equipped it, your backpack was dropped to the ground (it is actually pretty unrealistic to carry around a 20kg backpack along with a 15kg sniper rifle all the time). Before anyone says "go play on that server then" I will tell you that I like mydayz a lot more, biggest reasons being the active admins along with working forums where people don't seem to be asshats.

And to continue with the weapons, L85 was also disabled on that server and that brings me to the claim that it doesn't fit the game. It takes away the art of concealment and the skill involved in spotting others. People should learn more about interacting with the surroundings, because this game does really offer some nice things that can either give you or your enemy away. With L85 you just stop frequently to take a look through a scope that spots everything for you. What's the fun in that? I know there are not a lot of L85's around, but why should there be any? Though the weapon itself isn't on the top when it comes to damage, it still gives advantage that I think is unfair for squads etc. One guy with L85 spotting people for another with a sniper. No spotting skill required whatsoever.

Also, I don't agree with the "L85 = Ghillie suit", because there is a major gap between the advantage those things give to the user. Ghillie makes the user better hidden from others, but it doesn't mean the user would have a major advantage in spotting others.

Just my thoughts on the subject! :thumbsup:

Seratox

Outlaw

Activity points: 176

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 5:43pm

in my opinion the L85 AWS is not to powerfull but in a range of 500-600meters its not very exactly so i
prefer my AS50 or a AKM / M4A3 CCO SD if i find some :D

and in the close combat its very powerfull maybe a little bit to powerfull .

Sunday, October 14th 2012, 11:45pm

I think it should be removed along with the AS50. Now, i'm pretty new here, coming from public hives, and there both weapons are common as dirt by now due to so many hackers spawning them in an tent-duping going on. It takes the fun out of sneaking and scoping out areas. I've always been more bored playing dayz when i've had either one of these guns, so in my opinion DayZ doesn't need them.

As to the m107, seeing as the as50 is the hacker weapon of choice on normal hives, this seems as rare as it should be. It is also loud as hell, has a high recoil and long reload time, so although it is .50 cal it is not as OP as the AS50.

Seratox

Outlaw

Activity points: 176

Monday, October 15th 2012, 12:07am

gage what you are mean is the as50 TWS that is a hacked weapon
l85 aws and AS50 can be found at crash sites